Argons are now only being made as a modding service where customers provide their own Mk2 headphones. Stock of pre-made Argons is sold out. Cost of service includes return shipping in CONUS. Buyer will need to ship their Mk2 T50, T40, or T20 headphones to us at their expense. Additional shipping charges apply for international orders. Pads are again optional at an additional cost. Cases are no longer being offered as an option.
Argon is our first fully modified headphone. It has been created specifically to provide the sound of an open-back headphone with the isolation of a closed-back. It features the classic T50RP chassis and driver - which has been hand tuned to our specifications.
Based on user feedback and because of the recent price increase of HM5 pads, only ZMF pads will now be offered. The stock pad option will remain for everyone who already has suitable pads. Also, a V-moda cable will now be offered as standard at no additional cost (regardless of options chosen). The default color will be gray, but may vary based on availability or special request.
Lead time is currently 1-2 weeks.
UPDATE: 7-10-17: We will now offer Argon mods based on the mass drop TX0-RP at a reduced cost. Please select "Massdrop + stock" or "Massdrop + ZMF" with the pad selection drop down.
Argon is our first fully-modified headphone. It is the result of dozens of experiments to find a way to create the most open-sounding closed headphone possible at an affordable price. It represents the most we could get out of the classic 2nd generation Fostex T50RP and will only be available while stock of the T50RP Mark 2 is still available.
- The classic Fostex ortho-dynamic driver and cups have been tuned to our specifications to provide modestly elevated bass, neutral mid-range, and smooth treble. Special attention has been paid to creating a large, natural sound-stage and avoiding any of the coloration common in other closed-back headphones.
- A hand-stitched deerskin suede comfort strap greatly improves comfort by distributing weight across your head without creating hot spots.
- Ear-side baffle damping provides cleaner sound regardless of pads used.
- Use the pads of your choice! ZMF pads are highly recommended, or order with stock pads to use your own. Of the ZMF pads, protein leather are the brightest, cowhide the darkest, and lambskin the most balanced.
- A hard travel case is also recommended and included at an additional cost. Case style may vary based on availability.
- Brushed-metal vinyl covers the stock cups to provide a sleek look.
- 3D printed badges placed under vents provide a unique way of identifying your headphones, but may also be left off if you prefer (please leave note in order form).
Q: What all is included with Argon?
A: The headphones, leather comfort strap, ear-side damping pads, stock T50RP pads, stock T50RP cable, V-moda 3.5mm cable, and the accessories of your choice. If a pad upgrade is ordered the upgraded pads will be installed.
Q: Does Argon require an amplifier?
A: While an amplifier is not strictly required, it is highly recommended.
Q: How much sound isolation does Argon provide?
A: It provides isolation comparable to most closed-back headphones, but is technically semi-open.
Q: What is the lead time for producing Argon?
A: Current lead time is 3 weeks.
Q: Is there a warranty offered with Argon?
A: The cost of parts and labor for hardware failure not caused by misuse of the product will be covered for 30 days. Accidental damage is not covered by this warranty and is determined at our discretion. After 30 days repairs will be performed at cost. The buyer is responsible for shipping for warranty repairs.